Friday, September 14, 2018

Thrown Under the Bus


Remember “Blame it on Bush”? If you have ever been in charge of anything, from Little League concession stand to President of the United States, you have been blamed for something that was not your fault.  And worse yet, you may have known whose fault it was and had to hold your tongue while the tires rolled down your back.  The description is one of feeling eviscerated.  It makes you feel vulnerable and angry.  And it is a trick as old as time.  

Genesis 3:12-13 NIV
[12] The man said, “The woman you put here with me---she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.” [13] Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

Who among us has not thrown someone under the bus for some poor decision that we made?  Crickets....  At times in my life when things were going badly, I have blamed God.  I have thrown him under the bus whether verbally or in my mind. I cannot imagine how that makes him feel when his own children turn on him.  I am convicted.  

In Matthew 25, I think the Parable of the Talents addresses throwing the Master under the bus. Jesus tells this story to his followers not long before his death and resurrection so it is believed that he was referring to what they were to do after he left this earth.

Matthew 25:14 NIV
[14] “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them.

Parallel Christ leaving earth, leaving his servants in charge. He entrusts his mission on earth to them, and he equips them with wealth. Check it out. When he is confronted, that servant basically throws his master under the bus.

Matthew 25:24-26 NIV
[24] “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. [25] So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.' [26] “His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?

I see our 'gold' as the Holy Spirit. In the end of the parable, one of the servants was afraid and did nothing but dig a hole and throw his entrusted gold in it. I'm no bible scholar, but in my mind this last question was the master’s anger over the servant’s response. The servant was caught making excuses.  We do this out of fear.  All the master wanted was for the servant to be faithful and carry out his business in his absence.  All God wants of me is the same

Job is a guy who chose not to throw God under the bus when he had every reason to.  He suffered horrible pain and loss, both emotional and physical. And this was his response.

Job 1:20-22 NIV
[20] At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship [21] and said: “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.” [22] In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

As a Christian, do I have enough trust in a gracious loving Father not to question him but rather to ask him questions? There is a difference in asking God questions and questioning God. The first is reliance on God, the second is a sin.  The difference is attitude and relationship. God knows my heart.  And he knows the difference.  Asking God questions while tears are running down my face is very different from defiantly demanding why He did or didn't do something.  Yes, we get angry at God out of our hurt.  God understands and God forgives. However, my questions can and should be asked but only within the constraints of my relationship with God.  My heart must be examined and my intentions pure.  

This year my little community has watched while a small child suffered with cancer and it’s painful treatments. Our community pulled together in prayer for this child and his family. This week this little boy passed away.  If this isn’t throw-God-under-the-bus material, nothing is.  In situations like this many Christians do throw God under the bus.  But I believe as Christians we must walk the fine line of mourning the loss and pain and at the same time never cast blame on God. If you read Job, you will see just how hard this is to do.  Job’s friends failed this test.  And we too cannot pass this test, not without listening to the Holy Spirit in our hearts. So when we are confronted with situations like loss to cancer, school shootings, natural disasters, and child abuse we must quiet ourselves and rely on the Holy Spirit that God placed in our hearts to deal with adversity.  

But wait, there is more! We are told to take action.  We are told not to bury our gold but to invest it. How do we carry on the business of the Father in our world?

“Lord, why are there so many starving children in the world”? Jesus said, “Feed my sheep”.  “Why is there so much drug abuse and violence”? And Jesus said “Feed my sheep”.  “Lord, why are there school shootings?” “Feed my sheep”, he says. I watch the evening news and instead of being motivated to address the need, I shake my head in fear and despair and say the end is near.  On social media you don’t have to scroll far to see good Christian people posting this defeated, fearful, hopeless attitude.

I also see people everyday that are investing their God-given gold by feeding the hungry, educating the masses, taking measures to protect our school children from shooters, caring for abused children, donating money to organizations that teach children to survive when parents are gone, donating money to victims of natural disasters, educating people how to care for their health, visiting those in prison, and carefully voting only for those legislators who support the people who work in a position to act as His hands and feet in our world. 

There are so many ways we can battle against the evil and pain in our world! It is up to our imagination and dedication to address these issues in our world.  There is so much we can do! Slinging mud and throwing God under the bus is what happens when you bury your gold.  We are not left to the wolves. We have been given a treasure of gold.  It is the very assignment given by our Savior and God to his followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment