Sunday, September 23, 2018

Best Intentions

When meeting with my posse this week, (my posse is a group of ladies who love to get into God’s word), we talked about how difficult it is to start the habit of meeting with God first thing every morning.  We discussed how intentional you have to be to make this decision and stick with it.  We talked about our failures and successes.  But mostly we talked about the difference it made in our lives. 

Change is intentional.  It is a choice. I made that choice about five or six years ago and it is the best decision I have ever made.  I decided to give the first of my day to God and trust him for the rest.  Most of my life I spent time in prayer at the end of a long day.  It was good, but spending time in the morning is unsurpassed.  Why is morning better?  And isn’t that a little legalistic?  I’m glad you asked.  My pastor explained it this way.  Time is valuable.  We fight for it everyday and run out everyday.  24 hours is never enough.  Giving God the first minutes of your day and trusting him with the rest is a huge shift in thinking.  It is prioritizing and placing first things first. It is saying everyday, “God, you are the most important thing in my life.”  Getting up early is a big sacrifice to a night owl like me. However, it shifts the order of my universe when I shove aside everything else and give the first place in my day to God.  

A sweet friend from my posse, Carla Cochrane, started this practice two or three years ago and never looked back. She would tell you what a change it has made in her life too.  We discussed what we could share to help others get started in this radically life-changing process.  In this blog I am going to share with you some of the steps we took to get started meeting God every morning.  Here are our ideas in no certain order.  

Get some Inspiration.   
Watch the movie War Room if you need inspiration to make this big change.  It.Will. Pump.You.Up! For that matter, watch any YouTube clip from Priscilla Shirer.  That will get you going.

Plan your Place.
Pick a comfortable spot that gives you privacy.  Mine is my favorite chair with my coffee.  It could be inside or outside, in a closet or a location in a big room.  Just pick a special spot and set it up.  Do a little nesting there to make it yours and yours alone.  

Choose your Sword.
This time isn’t just output to God.  It is input from God.  It is a conversation between friends that is food for your soul.  Listening to what God has for you is the most important part of this process, and a Bible is the word of God. It is a weapon of offense to help you take on the issues in your day.  You may want to buy a new Bible just for this time with God.  If so, research and go shopping.  His input is so important and there are so many choices of Bibles.  I chose a digital Bible that allows me to see two versions side by side, is lightweight, and is on every device so it is always with me.  There are so many cool Bibles now.  Go to a book store and spend some time shopping.

Choose a Daily Devotional Book.
A great way to start is to find a daily devotional that you like.  There are many phenomenal ones out there.  If one does not work for you, try again.  

Find your Focus.
I can’t focus well if there is any distraction. And sometimes my mind bops around like a pinball in an arcade game.  That is me.  When this happens I stop and write down that thought, then go back to my quiet time.  Some days I fight for focus the entire time, and some days the conversation flows.  I have heard of people who keep sticky notes by their Bible so they can jot down that random thought then get back to their quiet time.  

Journal your prayers.
Try writing down your prayers. You will be amazed how they are answered.  I got this idea originally from reading The Help. You may look back ten years later or a day later and remind yourself how God answered your prayers.  Also, writing them down makes your prayers more thoughtful and intentional.  I often realized how selfish I sounded when I saw it in black and white and writing it down provided a window to see myself without the rose colored glasses.  A little honesty goes a long way when having a conversation with a friend.  I chose to journal in my iPad notes because it is free, is in the cloud and even has a lock feature.  (There are also apps for this but be careful.  I lost over half of my 2016 journal to a bad app.)  If you are not into the digital side, go to a book store where you will find a wide selection of journals in every shape, size and color.


Set your Alarm.
Set your alarm clock 15 minutes early to get started.  It needs to be a time when the house is quiet before the rest of your family takes over your life.  Start small and don't feel guilty about it.  As you get into the habit, this time will grow from God-given passion inside you. 
Give yourself Grace.
If you have an off day, week, or even month, forgive yourself, and take up where you left off.  But start again.  I have a hard time making anything a habit. (Sometimes I still go to bed and have to get up again because I forgot to brush my teeth.)  It takes many failures to get into any habit.  

If you chose to do this, be excited about this decision.  Your life is about to change. I have witnessed the metamorphosis in others and I have seen a transformation in myself.  

With prayers for you all,
Susan



No comments:

Post a Comment