Sunday, September 2, 2018

Beloved

Beloved

I have a vivid memory of him standing at the pulpit, sweat dripping down, jowls swinging in emphasis as he addressed the listeners in the pews as “Beloved”.  That was my dad.  I often wondered why he chose this name for his congregation.  So I did a little research.  It means dearly loved or a much loved person.  The English Standard Version of the Bible has 104 verses with the term beloved.  The more popular New International Version changed the term to ‘dear friends’ and ‘one whom I love’.  Each time the term is used, it is a term of endearment like our ‘honey’, ‘sugar’, or in my husband’s family, ‘sweet thang’.  When you are called beloved, you are singled out as special.  

To truly understand a term, sometimes you have to look at it’s antonyms.  So here it is. Have you ever been trapped in a situation where you believed the person or people around you did not like you or even loathed you for some reason?  How did you feel?  How did you behave?  Was your behavior affected in any way?  Where did your thoughts go?  Did you become sullen and quiet or did you become rebellious, no longer caring?  Did your perspective shift to darkness?  Did you read something negative into every word your detractors uttered?  Did this belief shade your world for that period of time?  If you have never been in this situation, you are very fortunate.  Or maybe not.  This situation gives you an understanding that you could not have without it. 

Too often as a teacher, I saw students who lived their life in this way.  They acted as if they were despised by everyone.  They trusted no one and read evil into even the most benign statements.  Some were sullen and silent hoping to go unnoticed.  Many would act out and violate all rules. I cannot imagine the life of a child who lives feeling unloved or despised by everyone around them.  This is a sad existence.  

In Genesis 16 a story is told of a woman by the name of Hagar.  She lived her life as a slave, then bad went to worse when she was used in a plan devised by her owner, and in turn was mistreated.  So she ran away.  But God sent an angel to this woman to show her he loved her.  Her response is as follows.

Genesis 16:13 NIV
[13] She gave this name to the Lord who spoke to her: “You are the God who sees me, ” for she said, “I have now seen the One who sees me.”

She now had what she needed to return and stand tall in the face of her abusers. When she saw the love of her creator who cared enough to send an angel, she could live her life, however difficult, as one seen by God.  

What if we lived each day as a beloved child of God regardless of circumstances?  Is this even possible? Is this attitude sustainable in a life of ups and downs?  Ask yourself how God shows you that he loves you.  What if you kept your eyes on these love gifts.  God shows me his love in everything from soft p.j.’s to the color blue.  And it is most important that I stop to consider his love daily so that I operate from a stance of being loved.  

How do you act differently when you are around those who accept you and hold you in high esteem?  I stand a little taller and laugh a little louder.  I express myself and show my love toward others more freely. Make it your goal to uncover the ways God shows his love for you everyday.  Beloved, practice living from a stance of being dearly loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment