Saturday, September 21, 2019

Have A Great Day


Recently, through a series of sermons and Bible readings on bravery, it has been shown to me that a great day is not a day without battles, but a day fighting the battles placed before me through God’s power. This is the brave life. This was an epiphany to me and even though I knew better, I somehow expected those days of following Christ to be peaceful. Now I see why there is so much talk of weaponry and strategy in the Bible.  If we are not battling, we are not living bravely.  And as Christians, we are called to be brave.  

However, the battles are not against groups of people and nations, like the world. One of my favorite Bible passages says it best. 
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 NIV [3] For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. [4] The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. [5] We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
Instead, I have found that many times I am fighting myself and my own selfish desires while I am fighting the evil of this world. For those who serve behind the lines, our battle is not visible or splashy.  It may look more like picking up one foot and putting it in front of the other while every fiber of our being wants to quit. Some people are given the front line battles like teaching, law enforcement, health care, advocating for the homeless, helping the children on the border, rescuing victims of human trafficking, and the list goes on.  However, most of us must battle daily against the hang ups and habits in our own life while showing up everyday for our job and quietly giving it all. This is done in spite of the lack of rewards. This takes bravery.

I have seen and read about many Christians who fought the battles placed in their hearts by God. There are many examples from the Bible. Esther, Abraham, Moses, Peter, Paul, John, Deborah, Rahab, Joseph and Daniel all are examples of bravery in action. I draw strength by reading their stories, placing myself in their place. 

Sometimes we are called to bravely advocate for a single acquaintance even when, so often, those who are on the receiving end will later turn on this support. This is when we realize the fight is not fought for kudos from those around us but as a passionate obedience to our Savior. 
What is your battle?  I’ll bet you fight several daily if you listen to the desires the Holy Spirit placed in your heart.  They are Holy.  Don’t give up or give in. Keep your chin up and know you are commissioned by the great high God.  It is a privilege to be His brave child. Remember, a great day is not a day without battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment