Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Stand Down, Private!


In this war against COVID-19, I want to help.  I want to help the cafeteria workers make food, talk to the lonely, feed the hungry, stimulate an ailing economy, and find ways to heal all the hurts.  Yet here I sit at home behind my computer or reading a book.  Isn't it a lack of courage and faith in God that keeps me huddled in my house?  Is this what a Christian is called to do? Surely not!

But then the resounding voice speaks to me of obedience.  It speaks to me of a time and a place for everything.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-11 AMPC
[1] To everything there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven: [2] A time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to pluck up what is planted, [3] A time to kill and a time to heal, a time to break down and a time to build up, [4] A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, [5] A time to cast away stones and a time to gather stones together, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, [6] A time to get and a time to lose, a time to keep and a time to cast away, [7] A time to rend and a time to sew, a time to keep silence and a time to speak, [8] A time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. [9] What profit remains for the worker from his toil? [10] I have seen the painful labor and exertion and miserable business which God has given to the sons of men with which to exercise and busy themselves. [11] He has made everything beautiful in its time. …

This is the time to read, sit, stay put, enjoy the outdoors and follow the orders that our leaders have given. There will be a day when it is time to rebuild, and rebuild we will!  But today is not it. It is not that season. By resisting the urge to be around others, we are helping countless health professionals around our country. Today is the day to hunker down in obedience. It is time to help those who are on the front line and must go to work. This is what we are called to do.

I know quite a few people who think the internet is evil. But I am amazed at the timing of our digital connectivity.  I do not think it is a coincidence. Lately, this distant love-in-action has been demonstrated by my teaching coworkers, family, and many famous and not-so-famous musical artists who have broadcast their songs on social media.

It is time. Time for us to try some Facetime, text, call, or respond to posts from friends and family on social media. We have the tools to reach out in love without touch and I believe God expects Christians to use them.

2 comments:

  1. Truth Talk!❤️❤️❤️Thanks for sharing these posts! I always look forward to the wisdom expressed within your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete