Sunday, August 12, 2018

The Voice


I needed the new dog harness that kept popping up on my Facebook screen.  Two clicks and it is no more neck pain for my pooches.  All I had to do was click, choose the color, size and give them my credit card information.  At first I waited.  Then I saw the postcard from vet clinic that said it was time to take my three-year-old black lab, India, for shots.  Memories from a year ago in the vets office flooded my mind. When it was India's turn to walk into the back for her shots she bolted out of her collar and hid behind a big guy with a brave little chihuahua.  I had to drag her 75 pound quivering body down with the help of the vet assistant. There was no way I was going into that office with that same collar!  


So, I bought it. Actually I bought two because I have two dogs. If I buy two I will save shipping cost later, right? It is a week until the appointment.  If I hurry and get it ordered, it will get here before then.  The small voice in the back of my mind, which sounds a lot like my husband, said, “What do you know about that dog collar company”?  I ignored it just like my actual husbands voice.  After all, I needed to order it fast or it wouldn’t get here in time.  The next morning I had fears and regrets.  I googled the ratings of the dog collar company.  There it was in glowing black and white, a Better Business Bureau rating of F.  Grrr.  I knew better.  What makes me do these things? When will I learn to listen to the common sense voice in my head? And how can I get it right next time?  

Analytically, breaking down the series of mistakes that preceded my bad decision, I now realize my first thought was embarrassment over my poorly behaved dog.  This was fear about what others will think. Second, I saw the pressure of hurry; I had to get the harness before the appointment.  How often do I rashly answer to a ticking clock?

I realize that in the big picture, the dog collar decision is not that big of a deal.  But everyday life decisions like words spoken that I can never take back are what IS important. I must recognize it when I do things because of fear and pressure of time. It was fear and pressure of time that pushed me to make the poor decision on the dog collars and it is often this same thing that makes me choose to ignore the most important voice of the Holy Spirit.  He whispers his guidance but the 'fears, wants and needs' of this world are in my face and I don’t listen.  I must invest time into learning to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit.  I must practice bringing my fears to God in prayer and slowing down to listen to his voice daily to get it right.  This is imperative.  The enemy wins a much bigger battle when I rush around.  

And yes, I do need to learn to listen to my husband's voice better too.😏

2 comments: