Sunday, November 11, 2018

Footnotes, Makeup and Pantyhose

I am pretty sure that footnotes, makeup and pantyhose were invented by Satan himself.
As a student, nothing struck fear in my heart more than footnotes.  As you can see, English was not my favorite subject and the reason boils down to footnotes.  Please understand that I never wanted to steal someone else's idea and take credit for it.  However, as a student who was forced to write about a topics in which I had no interest or thoughts, everything would be a footnote!  And don't even get me started on MLA, APA, and Chicago.  What a nightmare! Why couldn't I just say, so-and-so said such-and-such in this book, and be done with it? 

Today's blog is not so much my thoughts as compiled thoughts of others that I would like to share.  I want to talk about the biggest stumbling block of all time and I hope to correctly give credit to those who gave me this input, however, it will not be done in a lovely MLA footnote.  If I wasn't so paranoid about it, I would look each up and give them a perfect footnote.  However, all they will get is a shout out. 

My issue with pride first came to light when attending a bible study of Beth Moore's.  She shared the following poem that she wrote and I have kept it in my bible for years.  It describes the battle perfectly.

My Name is Pride
by Beth Moore

My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your God-given destiny...
because you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment...
because you "deserve better than this."
I cheat you of knowledge...because you already know it all.
I cheat you of healing...because you're too full of me to forgive.
I cheat you of holiness...
because you refuse to admit when you're wrong.
I cheat you of vision...
because you'd rather look in the mirror than out a window.
I cheat you of genuine friendship...
because nobody's going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love...
because real romance demands sacrifice.  
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...
because you refuse to wash another's feet on Earth.
I cheat you of God's glory...
because I convince you to seek your own.
My name is Pride.  I am a cheater.  
You like me because you think I'm always looking out for you. 
Untrue.
I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...
If you stick with me, 
You'll never know.

This poem brought the effects of pride into the spotlight.  This week, it was while listening to a sermon on the radio about demons, the pastor (I think it was Robert Jeffress) said that Satan was once an angel and his downfall happened due to his pride.  This made me realize the very sobering thought that I have something in common with Satan himself.  Pride is a constant battleground in my life.  I believe it is C.S. Lewis who said, "Pride leads to every other vice: it is the complete anti-God state of mind".

Lord help me become sensitive to the presence of pride in my life so that I can bring it to you and lay it down.

Footnote...Thank you to all those who speak truth into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment